12 March 2010

Changes

Things got better in my 2nd week of lectures. I'm settling down with classes. I am not attending random lectures anymore. I am starting to plan for a perfect timetable, perfect as in having a 4-day weekend. I am maximizing the opportunity of taking courses here and transferring it back to HKUST, taking 6 courses, 4 of them are my core courses.

It was still a busy week for me. Some of my classes are scattered around the day. One at 9am, and the other one at 3pm. So I tried really hard to swap and play around my schedule. It was a really tough process, as people here generally do not know clearly what they are doing, and what they are supposed to do. I nearly gave up by the end of the week. 

Again, I realized that I will go broke again towards the upcoming week, as that will be the time for me to pay my fortnightly rental. And my scholarship money is NOT HERE yet.....!! Awh. This is definitely bad as
1) I won't have money to eat
2) I can't go out and enjoy
3) I might have to borrow money from people who have just known me for a few weeks?
4) I just can't do anything without money!

And so....this week, I was desperately looking for a part time job as well. The bad thing is, most places either do not want to hire international students on a student visa (max working hours per week=20), or they will not want someone who will only stay here for a few months, OR they want someone who can speak Japanese (because I tried several Japanese restaurants).....
Ahh....so finding casual employment is definitely not an easy thing to do. I'm still trying hard, hoping that perhaps Starbucks will hire me.

What else happened this week?

Owh ya, and books here!
Well, one thing that suits me here is that most lecturers encourage a lot of institutional reading.
BUT, most of them require textbooks, and textbooks are EXPENSIVE over here. Most of the new ones are sold at AUD120 and above. Second hand ones will still cost AUD50 and above. Mahalnya =.=
And the worst part is, most of the textbooks selected are the latest editions. They don't put any copies in the libraries (although there are like 8 libraries here?), or even if they do, a lot of copies are stolen.
YEAH, you heard me correctly, stolen =.= The librarian even told me, accounting books are quite slippery over here....ahh. So they knew the problem.
Evening! Fisher Library =)
So I guess that's pretty much about uni this week?
I gotta study real hard next week onwards!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

cool~ sharing room with others there?

Lyn said...

yeah..sharing a big studio with 2 other people =) u have gmail? click follow my blog la...(haha, thick face, self promoting now XD)

Unknown said...

I subscribe to your blog in my Google Reader instead. lol.

Follow my blog as well? I have a thick face.

Lyn said...

really?
actually i'm not familiar with the whole thing...how do u do that? and what is ur blog add?

Unknown said...

http://cenziwei.blogspot.com/2010/03/coloane-village-lord-stows-cafe.html

I went to Macau for food hunting!

Remember to follow my blog yah cheers. I only write about my traveling experience in HK and Macau